Montag, 9. Dezember 2013
Chocolate Coffee Rolls
- 2 cups (240 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp (56 grams) melted butter
- 6 oz (168 grams) chocolate (both chopped and chips)
- 4 tbsp (56 grams) room temperature butter
- 4 oz (113 grams) room temperature cream cheese
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) powder sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2-3 tsp lukewarm milk
- In a mixing bowl add the flour. Make a well in the middle and pour the 1/3 cup lukewarm milk in. Sprinkle the yeast on top of it and leave at room temperature until the yeast has dissolved and bubbles start to appear.
- Add the sugar, salt and eggs and, with the dough hook on, start mixing on low speed until the dough starts to come together and rolls around the dough hook.
- Increase the speed to low-to-medium and slowly pour the melted butter.
- When all the butter is incorporated increase the speed to maximum (on my mixer that is 12) and mix for 2-3 minutes. (at this point the dough is a sticky mess but, please, do not be tempted to add more flour, it will come together with a little patience)
- With a spatula clean the sides of the bowl and the hook and start mixing again for 2-3 more minutes.
- Clean and mix again. Do it for 3-4 more times until the dough starts to pull itself from the sides of the bowl and makes a slapping sound.
- Clean the sides of the bowl and the dough hook and place the dough into a buttered bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature to rise until doubled in volume.
- When the dough is risen and doubled in volume, take it out of the bowl and roll it on a slightly floured surface.
- Brush it with the room temperature butter and sprinkle the chocolate all over it and roll, starting with the wide side.
- With a piece of thread or dental floss (unflavored) cut the roll into 8 rolls.
- Place the rolls into a cast iron pan or a 10" round pan.
- Cover again with plastic foil and leave to rise for the second time.
- In the meantime heat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden-brown on top.
- When the rolls are baked make the coffee icing.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese with the sugar and coffee powder and add enough milk to make it pour-able.
- Pour it over warm rolls and enjoy!